Saturday, November 12, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

I know Christmas is a few weeks away and we still have Thanksgiving to get through, but I've been playing in the kitchen.  I made Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cake recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html
It's good, but it doesn't hold a candle to my favorite recipe.  So, I'll be switching back!  I used a new cream cheese frosting recipe and changed half of it.  It's amazing frosting!  So, this icing makes up for what the cake is lacking!

Heavenly Cream Cheese Frosting - Amanda's Recipe
1 - 8 oz. package of regular cream cheese (softened)
1 - 8 oz. package of fat free cream cheese (softened)
2 - sticks of butter (salted) so 1/2 a pound (softened)
2 - teaspoons of vanilla
1/4 - teaspoon of popcorn salt
1- 2lb. bag of powdered sugar (sifted)

Cream together the softened butter and cream cheese until smooth.  In a small cup, mix the 1/4 teaspoon of popcorn salt with the 2 teaspoons of vanilla, then add to the cream cheese/butter mixture.  Once the vanilla salt mixture is thoroughly mixed in begin slowly adding one 2lb. bag of powdered sugar.  This recipe will cover two 9 inch round cakes stacked with icing in the middle.  I had a bit of icing left over so I tinted it and used it to practice some decorating.  This icing smoothed nicely on the cake, but is too thin for decorating.  You'll need to refrigerate a cake iced with this icing.
I made a Santa out of fondant.  I love him!  He's so cute!  I really wish I had used my regular butter cream for the decorations.  Oh, well, live and learn! 
I was trying out scrolls and dots on the side of this cake.  I think I've got the star tip down!  

This cake is two 9 inch cakes stacked and serves 10-12 people.  $27 
Email me if you'd like to order: teacherperkins23@comcast.net
Cake love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment